- Marine Carbon Chemistry
- Isotope Geochemistry
- Climate Change and Ocean Acidification
Methane released into the water column can be oxidized aerobically or anaerobically to inorganic carbon and potentially lead to changes in ocean chemistry. I am interested in understanding and quantifying the effect of methane hydrate dissociation on the marine carbonate system. Furthermore, I am interested on developing new analytical techniques to determine sinks and sources of methane and carbon dioxide.
- 2013-present, Ph.D. Graduate Student, Dept of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
- 2013, M.S., Chemical Oceanography, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX.
- 2009, B.S., Chemistry with Honors Thesis, Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY.
- M.S. Thesis - The Combined Effect of Ocean Acidification and Eutrophication on Water pH and Aragonite Saturation in the Northern Gulf of Mexico – Advisor Dr. Shari Yvon-Lewis, Texas A&M University.
- Undergraduate Thesis – Towards the Development of Electrochemical Sensors for Detecting Silver and Fullerene Nanoparticles – Advisor – Dr. Sadik, Binghamton University.
- Research Assistant- Intern at the National Museum of Natural History – Advisor Dr. Brian T. Huber, Smithsonian Institution.
- Garcia-Tigreros, F. and J.D. Kessler (2018), "Limited acute influence of aerobic methane oxidation on ocean carbon dioxide and pH in Hudson canyon, northern U.S. Atlantic margin." Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123, doi: 10.1029/2018JG004384.
- Garcia-Tigreros Kodovska, F., K.J. Sparrow, S.A. Yvon-Lewis, A. Paytan, N.T. Dimova, A. Lecher, J.D. Kessler. (2016) “Dissolved methane and carbon dioxide fluxes in Subarctic and Arctic regions: Assessing measurement techniques and spatial gradients.” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2015.12.002.
- Dimova, N.T., A. Paytan, J.D. Kessler, K.J. Sparrow, F. Garcia-Tigreros Kodovska, A.L. Lecher, J. Murray, and S.M. Tulaczyk. (2015) "Current Magnitude and Mechanisms of Groundwater Discharge in the Arctic: Case Study from Alaska." Environmental Science & Technology, doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b02215.
- Lecher, A.L., J.D. Kessler, K. Sparrow, F. Garcia-Tigreros Kodovska, N. Dimova, J. Murray, S. Tulaczyk, A. Paytan. (2015) “Methane transport through submarine groundwater discharge to the North Pacific and Arctic Ocean at two Alaskan sites.” Limnology and Oceanography, doi: 10.1002/lno.10118.
- Paytan, A., A. Lecher, N. Dimova, K. Sparrow, F. Garcia-Tigreros Kodovska, J.D. Kessler. (2015) “Methane transport from the active layer to lakes in the Arctic using Toolik Lake, Alaska, as a case study.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, doi:10.1073/pnas.1417392112.
- Du, M., S. Yvon-Lewis, F. Garcia-Tigreros, D.L. Valentine, S. Mendes, J.D. Kessler. (2014) “High resolution measurements of methane and carbon dioxide concentrations and air-sea fluxes reveal the influence of methane seepage on greenhouse gas dynamics in a massive natural seep field near Coal Oil Point, California.” Environmental Science & Technology. doi: 10.1021/es5017813.
- Bianchi, T.S, Garcia-Tigreros, F., Yvon-Lewis,S.A., Shields, M., Mills, H.J., Butman, D., Osburn, C., Raymond, P., Shank, C., DiMarco, S.F., Walker, N., Reese, B., Mullins, R., Quigg, A., Aiken, G.R., and Grossman E.L. (2013) Enhanced Transfer of Terrestrially-Derived Carbon to the Atmosphere in a Flooding Event. Geophysical Research Letters. 40 (1), 116-122, DOI: 10.1029/2012GL054145.
- Valentine, D.L., J.D. Kessler, M.C. Redmond, S.D. Mendes, M.B. Heintz, C. Farwell, L. Hu, F.S. Kinnaman, S. Yvon-Lewis, M. Du, E.W. Chan, F. Garcia Tigreros, C.J. Villanueva (2010), Propane respiration jump-starts microbial response to a deep oil spill, Science, 330, 208, DOI: 10.1126/science.1196830.
- Garcia-Tigreros Kodovska, F., K.J. Sparrow, S.A. Yvon-Lewis, A. Paytan, N.T. Dimova, A. Lecher, J.D. Kessler. (2016). "Dissolved Methane and Carbon Dioxide Fluxes in Subarctic and Arctic Regions: Assessing Measurement Techniques and Spatial Gradients," Ocean Sciences, New Orleans, LA (Poster).
- Garcia-Tigreros Kodovska, F. and J.D. Kessler. (2015). "The potential influence of aerobic methane oxidation on ocean carbon dioxide and pH," Center for Arctic Gas Hydrates, Environment and Climate (CAGE), The Arctic University of Norway, Norway (Invited Talk)
- Garcia-Tigreros Kodovska, F., J.D. Kessler, M. Leonte, A. Chepigin, M. Kellermann, E. Arrington, D.L. Valentine. (2015). "Carbonate Chemistry Dynamics in an Area of Active Gas Seepage: the Hudson Canyon, US Atlantic Margin," AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA (Poster).
- Garcia-Tigreros, F., and Yvon-Lewis,S.A. (2013). "The Combined Effect of Ocean Acidification and Eutrophication on Water pH and Aragonite Saturation in the Northern Gulf of Mexico," Ocean Carbon Biogeochemistry Workshop, Woods Hole, Massachusetts (Poster).
- Garcia-Tigreros, F., S. A. Yvon-Lewis, T. S. Bianchi, M. Shields, R. Wanninkhof, D. Pierrot. (2012). "Effects of the 2011 Mississippi River Flood on CO2 Fluxes in the Louisiana Coastal Zone; Linkages with Riverine DOM," Ocean Sciences Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah (Platform).
- Garcia-Tigreros, F., Abudalo, R., and Sadik O. (2008). “Autonomous Multieletrode Sensor for NADH Detection in Normal and Cancerous Cells” 53rd Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium of the Rochester section of the American Chemical Society, SUNY Geneseo, Geneseo, NY (Platform).
- Fall 2013, Teacher's Assistant, Introduction to the Geological Sciences.
- Spring 2014, Teacher's Assistant, Marine Geology.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2013-2015, University of Rochester Provost Fellowship
- 2013, Ocean Carbon Biogeochemistry Student Travel Award
- 2010-2012, National Science Foundation S-STEM Scholar
- 2012, National Science Foundation S-STEM Student Travel Award
SHIPBOARD & FIELD EXPERIENCE
- 2015, August 28 - September 5, R/V Ukpik, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, USA
- 2014, July 7 - 14, R/V Endeavor, North Atlantic Bight, USA
- 2012, August 7 - 12, R/V Pelican, Gulf of Mexico, USA
- 2012, July 29 - August 3, Barrow Field Station, Barrow, Alaska, USA
- 2012, July 24 - 28, Toolik Field Station, Toolik Lake, Alaska, USA
- 2012, July 19 - 23, Kasitsna Bay Laboratory, Kasitsna Bay, Alaska, USA
- 2012, April 25 – 30, R/V Pelican, Gulf of Mexico, USA
- 2011, August 16 – 21, R/V Pelican, Gulf of Mexico, USA
- 2011, June 20 – 25, M/V Blazing Seven, Gulf of Mexico, USA
- 2011, April 25 – May 01, R/V Pelican, Gulf of Mexico, USA
- 2010, August 15 – 20, R/V Pelican, Gulf of Mexico, USA
- 2010, June 10 – 21, R/V Cape Hatteras, Gulf of Mexico USA
Current Member: Yes
Order Number: 5